Cheetahs thump Griffons, Griquas stun Sharks in Currie Cup

Cheetahs left wing Munier Hartzenberg scored 4 tries to energy his facet to an enormous 52-12 win over the Griffons, whereas the Griquas fought again from an 18-point deficit at halftime to beat the Sharks 48-42 in two Currie Cup clashes on Sunday afternoon.

Within the first match of the day on the North West Stadium in Welkom, the Cheetahs produced a chic first half efficiency, led by a hattrick from Hartzenberg, that noticed them take a 40-6 lead into the halftime break.

ALSO READ: The rise of rugby has been the downfall of the Currie Cup

Hooker Marko Janse van Rensburg was first to attain after breaking off a strong maul, whereas flank Friedle Olivier pressured his approach over from shut vary, each tries transformed by scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar, both facet a penalty from Griquas scrumhalf Jaywinn Juries, making it 14-3 after 13 minutes.

Hartzenberg then completed off a transfer within the nook for his opening attempt, whereas Juries struck one other penalty making it 19-6 after 22 minutes.

The Cheetahs then powered away within the ultimate 14 minutes of the half with two tries to Hartzenberg both facet one to Viktor Sekekete, all transformed, giving them an enormous lead on the break.

The second half was then a a lot quieter affair because the Cheetahs took their foot off the fuel, however nonetheless dotted down two extra instances, with Hartzenberg’s fourth and one to alternative wing Cohen Jasper, whereas Juries slotted two extra penalties for the hosts.

Griquas comeback flooring Sharks

The second match of the day, a attempt fest at Griqua Park, noticed the Griquas ground the Sharks with a second half comeback, as they scored 28 unanswered factors to steer 48-28, earlier than two late comfort scores to the guests made the sport nearer than it was.

It was a frantic begin because the hosts acquired on the board with a penalty to flyhalf Lubabalo Dobela, earlier than the guests replied with a transformed attempt to inside centre Francois Venter, adopted by the hosts being awarded a penalty attempt after their maul was stopped illegally, giving them a 10-7 lead after simply 10 minutes.

Nonetheless the Sharks quickly took management as hooker Fez Mbatha and scrumhalf Cameron Wright dotted down tries inside 4 minutes of one another, adopted by wing Yaw Penxe, all transformed by flyhalf Fred Zeilinga for a 28-10 lead on the break.

The Griquas acquired off to a cracking begin within the second half as a turnover off the kick-off led to captain Stephan Smit getting into early, adopted by nice interaction seeing left wing Luther Obi underneath the sticks, with Dobela’s conversions slicing the deficit to 4.

Rampaging alternative unfastened ahead Hanru Sirgel down the contact then noticed him in on the nook, with Dobela’s extras giving the hosts a shock 31-28 lead simply 9 minutes into the second half.

A penalty from Dobela, adopted by transformed tries to scrumhalf Johan Mulder and alternative hooker Janco Uys, sealed the good come from behind win with 4 minutes to play.

However the Sharks managed two late comfort tries to flank Dylan Richardson to steal a second bonus level on the demise.