Iranian police say Mahsa Amini’s death is “unfortunate” as protesters take to the streets


Iranian police called Mahsa Amini’s death an “unfortunate accident” and denied that she was physically injured in custody, semi-official Fars News reported Monday.

Amini, 22, who was stopped and arrested by Iranian police in Tehran on Tuesday, died on Friday after falling into a coma.

CCTV footage released by Iranian state media appeared to show her collapse in a “re-education” center where she was taken by the moral police to receive “guidance” about her clothing.

“The incident was unfortunate for us and we wish to never see such incidents,” Greater Tehran police commander Hossein Rahimi said at a press conference on Monday.

Rahimi said “false accusations” were leveled against the Iranian police and that Amini was not physically harmed during and after she was taken into custody.

She added that the police had “done everything” to keep her alive.

Iranian officials said Amini died after suffering a “heart attack” after her arrest on Tuesday, but her family claims she did not have a pre-existing heart condition, according to Emtedad News, a pro-reform Iranian media who reportedly spoke to the Amini’s father.

Students took to the streets on Monday in Tehran, demanding justice and responsibility for Amini’s death as protesters clashed with police in Iranian cities in northwestern Kurdistan province over the weekend, semi-news agencies reported. officers.

A video circulating on social media showed women in Tehran taking off their hijab and waving it while singing “death to the dictator” on Monday. Another video showed a motorcycle burning in a street area near where the judiciary building in the capital is located.

A video, broadcast by Iranian state TV, shows the alleged moment when 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, facing the camera in the red circle, collapses after being arrested by Iran.

Fars, a government-aligned news agency, released a video showing demonstrators demonstrating in the Kurdistan provincial capital Sanandaj last Sunday and chanting slogans against officials.

According to Fars, the protesters “were not convinced” by the police justification of Amini’s death, saying she died “under torture”.

Security forces fired tear gas at protesters after Amini’s funeral ceremony in his hometown of Saqqez on Saturday, Fars said, while protesters demanding answers would throw stones at the governor’s office, the semi-official said. Mehr News.

At least 38 people were injured during protests in both cities, according to a report released Sunday by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, a registered organization in Norway that monitors rights violations in Iran.

US Special Envoy for Iran Robert Malley took to Twitter on Friday asking Iran to “end its improper violence against women for exercising their fundamental rights.”

“Those responsible for his death should be held accountable,” he added.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said he “categorically rejected any interventionist statement by the American authorities involving Iran’s internal affairs”.

“If the US government is concerned about the Iranian nation, it should lift its cruel, unilateral and illegal decades-long blockade against the Iranian nation,” he added.