Child’s thumb “pirated” in freak accident at Broadway Shopping Center

A family was devastated after a trip on an escalator to a popular shopping mall left their son with no thumb.

A young boy lost his thumb in a freak accident at Sydney’s Broadway Shopping Center.

Anora Fairchild said her son Lewis’s life changed forever after he took the escalator into the Glebe hotspot.

He said a protruding piece of metal detached his son’s thumb as he held the handrail.

“Lewis was crying and he held out his hand and he was bleeding,” he said channel 7.

“He tore his tendons, he went through the bone – he was violated, it wasn’t a clean job.”

Lewis was rushed to Sydney Children’s Hospital, where doctors spent hours operating. Unfortunately, the damage caused by the escalator was too severe for doctors to reattach the thumb.

“My family has suffered an untold amount of heartache,” said Ms. Fairchild.

“Lewis will probably live the rest of his life without using his right thumb.

“We never could have imagined that a short trip to our local mall would be our worst nightmare from which we can’t wake up.”

Lewis, who is now recovering at home, will need extensive physical therapy and potentially an additional operation after the ordeal.

The mall owned by real estate giant Mirvac said it was conducting a “thorough investigation” and had tried to contact the family.

“Our thoughts are with the baby and his family, and the health and safety of all our customers and staff remain our top priority,” a spokesperson for Mirvac’s Broadway Sydney center said in a statement.

“We tried to get in touch with the family after the accident.

“We are conducting a thorough investigation into the incident and are working with the authorities.”

Originally published as The thumb of a “pirated” child in a freak accident at the Broadway Shopping Center