NEW ONENow you can listen to the articles from Fox News!
An offer from Moscow this week for Ukrainian soldiers in Mariupol laying down their weapons in exchange for a safe evacuation from the defeated city had no takers, says a report, with a navy commander saying “no one believes the Russians.”
The tactical flop induced The Russian Defense Ministry will announce this on Wednesday that it “will once again offer nationalist battalion fighters and foreign mercenaries to stop fighting and lay down their arms” by 7:00 ET. theirs first maturity and safe redemption offer Tuesday passed without a single soldier agreeing, the ministry said, according to Reuters.
“Nobody believes the Russians,” Maj. Serhiy Volyna of Ukraine’s 36th Separate Marine Brigade told the Washington Post, adding that others who previously trusted Russia’s safe passage guarantees were shot.
Ukrainian soldiers trying to defend Mariupol are taking refuge in the Azovstal steel plant. Ukraine also says there are civilians inside the facility.
In a Facebook video posted Wednesday, Volyna said he believes in Russian forces they currently outnumber Ukrainians by 10 to one.
“This is our call to the world … we are probably facing our last days, if not hours,” Volyna warned.
“We are defending only one object, the Azovstal plant, where, in addition to military personnel, there are also civilians who have fallen victim to this war,” added the navy commander. He said there were “more than 500 wounded” in the plant and “hundreds” of civilians taking refuge in the building.
In recent days, an unverified video has circulated of women and children rumored to be in the bunkers under the Azovstal factory in Mariupol.
Fox News’ Tyler O’Neil and James Levinson contributed to this report.